Thursday, August 26, 2010

Otter pops for big kids

Remember the multi colored ice pops from when we were young?

When I was little, I loved the ones at the asian grocery stores that were "fruit" flavored tubes of liquid you can bring home and freeze. They did not taste like anything more than sugar and water, but they served the purpose of cooling you down on a hot summer day.

So recently I started watching korean dramas again, and in this one particular drama (My Wife is a Superwoman ) the main characters kept eating some kind of frozen treat. Of course, fatty me kept trying to figure out what it was. I thought it was a popsicle but they looked like they were drinking it instead of licking it.  Plus, they never removed the wrapper, so I couldn't tell what the content looked like! Such teases.

The when I was doing my grocery shopping at the local Lotte, this brown, blue, and orange package caught my eye. It was the same packaging that I saw in the drama!

So it turns out, the mystery treat is called Papico, and it's actually a huge tube of chocolate ice.
It has a top you just rip right off.



The opening is pretty small so you need to wait until the content is a bit melted to squeeze it through the top. Unfortunately when its melted the top is crazy hard to snap off, so to eat this you have to rip off the top when its still frozen and then wait around for a while for it be to melted enough to suck through the hole. 
It's actually pretty good. It tastes like icy chocolate milkshakes, or fudge-sicles. Since the tube is pretty big, each squeeze gives you a generous mouthful of icy goodness, so you don't have to work hard to eat it.  It's actually nice to eat a popsicle type treat that I don't have to worry about dripping onto my clothing. 

Although fun and delicious, its main downfall is its price. I guess since it's imported from Korea, they have to charge a pretty penny to make a profit. For a pack of 6, the original price is an astonishing $8.99, and I bought it on sale for $4.99. That's more than a box of Fruit Bars! It's ironic that otter pops and the ice tubes of our youth were popular because it was so cheap, and this more adult version is so crazy expensive. 

However, if you've never had this, you must spoil your inner child and try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment