Sunday, August 29, 2010

Matsuri-NYC

So while we were looking for places to hold the engagement dinner, there was one japanese restaurant that was considered as a contender for EN,  it was Matsuri. The main reasons were that they had a well priced tasting menu and I heard the serving sizes were larger than at EN. The pictures from this night are not very good since I only had my iphone camera to depend on and the restaurant was oh so dark.

When you first enter, it looks like small place, but you walk down the stairs you see that the main dining room is in a HUGE basement decorated like a japanese anime dream sequence.
Matsuri interior
When we first sat down, we really liked the interior of Matsuri. We were seated in a booth, that had a canopy type structure, which made it feel quite private. The choice was basically made to hold the party here at this point.  DF and his roommate both ordered the $65 tasting menu and the sake flight. I had the rice pot, agedashi tofu, and a cocktail called "Toyko 75".
Tokyo 75
OHhhh.. what could I say about this cocktail? The ingredients: Shochu, yuzu, prosecco, calpico.
I like shochu and yuzu just fine, prosecco is my wine of choice, and I really don't believe you can go wrong with calpico. BUT all together, the drink was quite an assault on my tastebuds. It was pretty bitter and its only redeeming factor was that berry (asian plum?) on the plastic sword. NOT worth the $14. 
Kumamoto Oysters
First up was the oysters served with yuzu ice. I thought this was a good dish. The ice on top is yuzu flavored so there was an icy sour lemony flavor with the oyster.  DF on the other hand did not enjoy it so much, he felt the yuzu was covering up the natural oyster flavor. 
Kobe Beef Tataki
First entree was the Kobe beef with mustard vinegar sauce. The taste of this dish was pretty plain, something you'd expect at a lower end restaurant made with regular beef. A great injustice to the kobe beef used in this preparation.
Agedashi Tofu
After having the Agedashi tofu dish at EN, this tofu dish tasted like something you could make at home. The texture of the tofu was like the ones you buy at the asian grocery stores. Its supposed to be deep fried, but the outside of the tofu was soggy from the sauce. The sauce itself was too heavy and covered the taste of tofu.
Sake Black Cod
Miso black cod is such a common dish at japanese restaurants, you'd think most of them would get them right by now. This one is cooked with sake instead and really left a lot to be desired. The skin was mushy and the meat did not come off in sections like fresh fish should.
Duck Breast
The roasted duck breast was too tough for me to even finish! I did hear that duck dishes are difficult to get right because some chefs tend to cook the crap out of the duck, this is most likely what happened here.
Sushi Assortment
DF and his roommate were really offended when this dish arrived at our table. First of all, the eel and cucumber rolls were falling apart and they didn't think the sashimi looked too fresh. Their main complaint was that this looked like something we used to buy at our college cafeteria. Since I enjoyed the sushi served in college, I happily gobbled up all the rolls.
Rice Pot
The final savory dish was the rice pot. At this point in the evening I was sorely disappointed with my dining experience at Matsuri. This rice pot did not really help. I only liked the two giant piece of shrimp you see at the top of the dish. The rest of the dish was mixed with chicken and I had a really hard time eating it. I think I would have preferred friend rice instead. The chicken was not flavorful and I just felt like this dish only accomplishes the goal of filling you up, it is not enjoyable or satisfying at all.

Ironically, the best dish of the night was the one I did not take a picture of. The green tea tiramisu and red bean ice cream was a delish end to an otherwise disappointing evening. It did take them a good 30 minutes after the last dish served to get us our dessert though. I thought maybe they had forgotten about us, but it was worth the wait to end the evening on a high note. The tiramisu was light and not too sweet. Red bean ice cream was so good I ate it all myself (even though it was technically DF's dish). 

The bill for everything came out to be around $90 per person. It really is too much to pay for the quality of food we received. The restaurant is in the trendy meatpacking district, so it is always filled with well dressed party goers getting a bite to eat before getting completely trashed. Its proximity to the best nightlife in the city is most likely what is keeping it alive despite the food quality and price. It's a skip for me, and I'm very glad we ultimately chose EN instead. 

1 comment:

  1. ooo green tea tiramisu sounds so good! and i love red bean ice cream, <3 asian desserts :)

    ReplyDelete