Sunday, May 8, 2011

Rambutan

Have you seen this hairy fruit?
It's a Rambutan, it's related to the Lychee and native to Southeast Asia.
Apparently, it's best to buy this fruit when it is still attached to the branches, because this reduces the likelihood the fruits are rotten or bug infested.
It looks prickly and scary, but its protruding stems are rather soft.
The skin is much thicker than a lychee's so it takes much more effort to peel, but you can see the inside is just like a lychee!
But the taste?
I don't like it as much as a lychee. It doesn't taste as sweet or refreshing as a lychee. The ones I ate tasted overly sweet that it had an odd tart taste. I actually had to stop after two because it was making my throat dry. I saved the rest in the fridge and after 3-4 days, it seemed to have gone bad. So I would recommend saving your money for lychee instead. This was $3.99/lb at the local Korean market, I've been able to buy lychee at the same store for average $1.99/lb.

No comments:

Post a Comment