Saturday, December 3, 2011

Laut - NYC

Michelin-starred Malaysian/Thai food? Even though I'm Asian, I was still kind of skeptical of how Asian food could be refined enough to be Michelin-starred. I was also hesitant to dish out the money, since Malaysian and Thai food can easily be found around the city at lower prices. Luckily, I found a deal on Groupon and decided to bring my family here for my dad's birthday dinner (my parents are so old school Asian that they would never let me spend that much money on them for food - only if there were some sort of coupon!). I'm a horrible food blogger - I'm trying to update more frequently and right after I eat a meal. Unfortunately, this meal took place over the summer so I'll just fill you in on the memorable details!

We were at Laut relatively early for dinner, so I really enjoyed the setting (I'm a sucker for restaurants with exposed brick walls).



Chili Tofu: fried tofu stuffed with cucumber, jicama, bean sprout & chili sauce

This was my appetizer - I loved the sauce and toppings. Normally fried tofu at Thai restaurants are over-fried and don't really taste like much of anything - I liked that at Laut, the tofu still had a soft consistency on the inside.


Five Spice Pork Roll: Marinated pork with five spice and fried


Chicken Satay: Grilled marinated with spice on skewer with peanut sauce


Roti Canai: Indian style crispy thin pancake with spicy curry dipping sauce


Ikaan Chili Garang: Fried fillet of flounder with shrimp paste chili sauce

My dad ordered the fried fish and this was easily the best dish out of all of ours. It was extremely spicy but the chili sauce had actual depth in flavor, rather than just burning your mouth off.


Asam Lemak Udang: Sour spicy coconut milk with shrimp lemongrass garlic cherry tomato okra

Actually...I remember absolutely loving this dish too. Also very spicy.


Beef Rendang: Simmered until dry exotic spices lemongrass, lime leaves, grated coconut with thick coconut milk

Chili Crab (with steamed bun): Spicy chili crab (soft shell), egg, garlic, ginger, tomato sauce, sesame peanut oil

This was my order and it was very good. It was slightly on the sweeter side, but I didn't mind it.




Mango with sticky rice

Green tea ice cream with toasted coconut flakes

Their green tea ice cream was amazing! My mom was obsessed with this. It was not sweet at all and had a really deep matcha green tea flavor. I wish we actually asked them who supplies their ice cream, or if it's house-made. I've recently discovered really good green tea ice cream from the Maeda-en brand at Asian grocery stores - but the one at Laut was ten times better than even that brand!

Ginger candy with the check - I love these sorts of extra touches from restaurants!

No comments:

Post a Comment