Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lessons From My Mother's Kitchen: Wheat Proteins

We all would love to cook as well as our mothers. My mom's cooking is centered on healthy eating, which is so important in this era of fast food and eating out. So I want to start sharing some recipes my mom makes from my trips home.

This is a great for all the vegetarians out there. It has the chewiness of meat but is slaughter free, plus it won't be always the same old tofu dish.
A warning, making the wheat protein by hand is very labor intensive.

1. Pour wheat flour into a giant bowl and add enough water for the flour to coagulate.

2. Keep replacing the water and massaging the "dough" into a solid piece. This will rinse away all other components of the flour and leave you with the protein inside.

3. The final product should look like:4. Cut out chunks of the protein ball and saute in hot oil
5. Add in green peas and salt to taste
6. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment