Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Whirlwind weekend in Atlanta


In August I took a trip to Atlanta for a work related trip. My fiance joined me Friday night and we spent the weekend touring the city. 

My most memorable and unique experience in Atlanta was dining at a pirate themed restaurant (of course it's food related!).  We stayed at the Intercontinental in the supposedly "upper crust" neighborhood of Buckhead and one of the top reviewed restaurants in the area was Dante's Down the Hatch. This is a fondue restaurant started by former Navy Seals and designed to resemble an old fashioned dock, complete with a pirate ship and an Alligator! (Unfortch, I could not see the alligator that night, so sad) We met up with a friend of mine and dined out on the "shore," but for an extra $5 per person one could dine on the pirate ship with a live band. 

The menu looks like a band of actual pirate wrote it (aka disorganized) and for some bizzaro reason included chinese style entrees. But we stuck with good ol' traditional oil fondue:
The boat meets the shore (left side greenish wood = ship):

The food was decent, not anything spectacular and not bad. The ambiance is really what sets this place apart. I think this is the ULTIMATE place for a first date. Food is not bad, and the conversation points are endless!

Oddly, the chocolate fondue dessert needs to be pre-ordered (how hard is it to heat up chocolate) so we didn't end up staying for dessert. Instead we went to Bistro Nikos, right across the street from our hotel. This is a french restaurant and boy does it get the fresh ambiance down!

The open kitchen is sooo cute! I stood there looking like a fool drooling over all the delicious looking bread loaves and cured meats. 

From the kitchen, you walk into the main dining area, which also totally reminds me of a brasserie in Paris.

The only thing that is out of place is the TV at the bar, showing a football game. This is such an American thing, I feel like the french would rather be people watching or having a great conversation with their neighbors than stare at men in tights tackling each other.

I got bored and took pics of my spoon for some reason.  So I'm posting it.

Our deserts:
This dessert is literally toast with some kind of chocolate spread.  Meh, not so great.
I ordered a Sabayon without knowing what a Sabayon is. So when the waitress handed me a creme brulee, I was afraid to question it even though I suspected it was a creme brulee and not a Sabayon. I ate it of course...and when I was almost done my Sabayon came:
I really didn't enjoy the Sabayon (I like saying the word though!). It was liquidy and a bit sour. If you are feeling even slightly nauseous or unwell, this dessert could very well tip you over the edge. But my friend really liked it and helped me finish it.


My only complaint about this restaurant is slow service, but apparently this is typical for Atlanta restaurants.

If you're planning a trip to Atlanta (business or otherwise), there are many more things to do in the city than just stuffing your face (though I regret not stuffing mine full of shrimp grits). We purchased a citypass for Atlanta and went to:

Georgia Aquarium
World of Coca Cola

CNN Center
These were the three main attractions (they're all within walking distance of each other) and if you use all three tickets you'll probably save around $5 than without a citypass. Other tickets includes a choice of the art museum, museum of natural history, Atlanta history museum, the zoo.  Out of these, I only really wanted to go to the Atlanta history museum, I heard the Swan House is a very nice tour. Unfortunately, the history museum was not very easily accessible by public transportation, and its hours were not very "weekend vacay" friendly.



No comments:

Post a Comment