Friday, August 27, 2010

Cafe Henri - Long Island City

Even though Long Island City has several restaurants, I seldom sit down to eat in one of the restaurants in my neighborhood. Since I had another friend visiting town, I decided to start off our day with breakfast at Cafe Henri, which also has a location in West Village. Cafe Henri is known for their crepes. The cafe has cute benches and plants by their door outside and when I walked in, I really liked the laidback, cozy, cafe vibe.


In addition to the nice decor, I also loved their music! While my friend and I were waiting for our food, I think I said "I love this song" at least 3 times to my friend. Some of the songs I remember were "She Will Be Loved" ~ Maroon 5, "Freefalling" ~ Tom Petty, and "Name" ~ Goo Goo Dolls. Cafe Henri could have won me over on their soundtrack alone. The restaurant has several "classic" French dishes and sandwiches, as well as a section of their menu devoted to "savory crepes" and one for "sweet crepes."


I ordered the "Saumon Fume, Creme Au Basilic," which is simply a wheat crepe with smoked salmon, grilled vegetables, and fresh basil cream, served alongside a light salad. The crepe was very good and light. Thinking back on it, the grilled vegetables might have overpowered the smoked salmon a little, but I still scarfed down the crepe. (As you read this blog, and my next posting on the Stanton Social, you might quickly learn that I basically only eat seafood when I eat out at restaurants ~ probably a byproduct of growing up in Annapolis, and it's just healthier!)


It was my friend's first time trying a crepe! She got the "Fruits Frais," which was simply a crepe with fresh cut fruit and a strawberry glaze. I didn't try a bite, but my friend seemed to enjoy it.

I may be slightly biased, but I love Long Island City! I would totally recommend anyone who is traveling or living in NYC to come out to LIC for lunch/dinner and to take a stroll in Gantry Plaza State Park. It is only minutes away from Times Square, Bryant Park, and Grand Central, and is literally right across the East River from 42nd Street so that you get amazing views of the Manhattan skyline.


Gantry Plaza State Park is a very well cared for park, similar to the Highline Park. It has hammocks, tons of seating, as well as a fancy children's playground.



No comments:

Post a Comment